Saturday, November 03, 2007

Summer Recap

I've been lax, so lax...beautiful summers come and go, and blogs must record them or posterity will suffer the loss. So, a few recent happenings...

On Kim's birthday we all went to the Fray concert to see their show and meet Isaac. I was so glad to finally meet this guy I've been hearing about for over 10 years. He's been a good friend to Kim, and that makes me like him very, very much.


I also liked their show very, very much. I did receive a lot of flak for my ear-protection-preparedness. One never knows how loud these concerts might get, and wanting to both hear without the distortion effect of loudness, and also keep my hearing for later listening experiences in life, I came armed (and modeled my gear for a photo). Unfortunately the only gear I had happened to be bright orange: (notice the ear)


We were very honored with vip seats and backstage passes, and Isaac sang Kim two birthday songs (because he forgot to preface the 1st one with "happy birthday, Kim"). She deserved two, having survived a night of horror under the spider-trees at our ill-chosen campsite (which pictures I will not include here, not only because of the trauma, but because they're on her computer, not mine.) We had our own little celebration later on. I'm sure Glorie-Bee thought all the singing and pretty candles were for her...


Much of the summer has been for her, though. It involved many waterpark outings in the front yard:


A visit from Aunt Annie (this is a bad photo...we were both extremely hot after hours in the sun at the botanic gardens. They were having an exhibition of full-sized dinosaur models, which Peter was very keen his 9-month-old daughter should see):


Glorie's first taste of Strawberry Frappachino...


...of vanilla custard...
...and, almost, of Winston's slobber. I snapped this photo then dived to save her as she threw herself toward the most interesting thing in the yard...and of course, one always puts the most interesting things into one's mouth. Cheerios? Nah.


Glorie has been my summer obsession. I've been watching her 2 days a week, and have plenty more photos I could regale you with. Glorie being fed, Glorie at the petting zoo, Glorie in the water, Glorie sticking her tongue out, Glorie eating humus...and videos, yes, videos...Glorie pushing her car, Glorie knocking block towers over, etc. I won't. But, if you ever visit me in KC, you'll not only be visiting, Amy, but also Aunt Mamy, and I'll force you to agree that she is the sweetest thing in the world!

So much for the summer recap. Yesterday at Anna & Jim's engagement party (oh, that's another of the summer happenings-an engagement) I met a man who grew up on a dairy farm. Unbeknownst to him, the heroine of my current novel spends some time on a dairy farm, and I thought I could pump him for some info. The poor man probably thinks I'm obsessed with milk (which, well, perhaps I am)....homogenization, pasteurization, how feed affects milk taste...I even wanted to ask him about milking etc., but he was looking rather pained already and making small "I'll have to ask my father," and "hmm, I-I've never heard of that," sort of comments, so I pulled Kim into the mix on the rousing question of whether "cow tipping" is an urban legend, and left him in peace.

I'm off to finish writing a new scene for my novel...(no, it's not set in the dairy). Actually, I may go for a hike through the fall-colored woods with Kim before that. Here is a parting photo-one of my favorite from the summer. I know it's kind of overexposed and my hair is sort of sticking out everywhere...but, I love being with my sister Annie and this is so "us"...me sort of calmer, she sort of bubbly...

No comments: