Monday, April 07, 2008

Foiled!

Well folks, a few days ago I found out that the airline I booked my ticket to Hawaii on went bankrupt! How random is that? I was having a hard day anyway, and that iced the cake, so to speak. As I prayed (and was anxious, I admit) about it, this not-so-famous scripture popped into my mind:

Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit"-- yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that." As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.
(Jam 4:13-16)


My dad often says "Lord willing" at the end of an "I'm going to..." sentence. I think I'll take up the habit.

Cufuffles like this are always unpleasant (my roommate told me this morning that I ground my teeth all night last night), but God has something for us in them. Tests, my friend Dwight Clough has said, are not meant as punishments, but to display the work that God has done in us. I've certainly reacted a bit differently to this than I might have a few years ago.

Sally just called, and I'm going to pop over to her place. I'll miss that when I live in HI! Here is a parting shot of what I'm expecting to see every morning...



Or something like that.

(oh, I've bought another ticket, the credit card company says they'll get my money back for the first ticket, and the enemy's plans to keep me from getting to Hawaii...or to keep me in turmoil about it...have been FOILED! Ah-HA!)

2 comments:

Anna Peterson said...

yes! And only four days until you come to me in Chicago!! =)

Mary said...

As proof that I do in fact read your blog, I leave you this comment. :) SO great to hang out with you for a bit at Oonagh's last night - I had a blast!!

Love,
Mary